Tuesday was such an ordinary weekday for all of us. Allison went to the sitter in the morning while I worked in my classroom. I remember leaving work that day feeling like I got a lot of things accomplished but, was looking forward to getting to spend the rest of the day with my little Allison. Once I picked her up at the sitter she was her typical self. She was smiling and excited to see her mama.
As the evening progressed she started refusing to eat or drink anything. She did not want to be held and was having difficulty breathing. She was even coughing and sounded like she had some congestion.It shocked me because Allison hadn't been sick last with a cold since the winter time. Once Tony got home we both agreed we better call papa at the clinic and see if he suggested we bring her up there for him to check her or what. He decided he would come by and take a look at her. Once he made it there he listened to her breathing and heart rate and instantly said we need to get her to the ER. Since this was Allison's first trip to the ER both Tony and I were extremely scared.
Once we made it to the ER was when our whole world turned upside down. We knew something wasn't good when the registration lady told us to go back immediately. When we brought her back the nightmare began. Right away they found that are oxygen level was at critical level and they had to do something very quickly. For Tony and I to see all the doctors and nurses running around was so scary. I remember asking the doctor if she was going to be okay and he looked at me and said, "I can't tell you if she is going to be okay. She is not getting much oxygen to her body." I also heard in the background the doctor saying we have to airlift her quickly this is not good. I was crying hysterically and feeling so helpless seeing her laying there and them hooking her up to so many tubes. In the mix of everything the x ray did come back showing her right lung had also collapsed. They thought that something was blocking her passageway to her lung.
About 1:00 in the morning is when the helicopter arrived and she was then airlifted to Children's Hospital in St. Louis. They were hoping they could keep her stabilized until we could make it to the hospital before they took her back into surgery. Luckily we were able to make it there and get to see her before they took her back to the operating room. Waiting for her to come out of surgery was one of the hardest things I have had to do in my life. I was scared something was going to happen and she wouldn't make it. After many family prayers she came out of the operating room and was put in intensive care. The surgeons had found that she aspirated a pea that was causing her passageway to be blocked to her right lung. We all couldn't believe it, a pea of all things were what caused this tragic nightmare.
Once she made it to intensive care she was put on a ventilator to help with her breathing. They have also found that she has pneumonia on top of this. Which the doctors said isn't rare for having a lung collapse. Yesterday she had to go back into surgery in the afternoon so they could try to clear out her lung and try and get as much out as they could.
As of today she is still in intensive care until hopefully tomorrow. They want to keep her in intensive care until she gets off the ventilator and can fully breathe on her own. They have had her sedated since Tuesday night. It has been so hard on us to not be able to see our little girl open her eyes, babble, sit up, etc. It is really hard to see her hooked up to so many machines and we are so helpless. We cannot do anything but pray and allow her time to let her lung heal. They are hoping a few more days in the hospital. Once she is able to get off the ventilator and in a regular room, she will be able to go home fairly soon. We cannot wait to be able to take our little girl home. Living in the hospital for the last week has been so hard on all of us.
Overall, she is gaining strength. The doctors have told us numerous of times that she will not have any health related problems after she goes home. They said she should be back running around and into everything. I can't wait to be able to hold my little girl in my arms. The doctors have told us this is very rare and is more likely a one time thing. Thanks to all of our family and friends who have prayed and been there for us during this tragic time. I never realized how your life can change in an instant. Also, a big thanks to all the staff at Children's hospital. They have been incredible. I have never felt so comfortable in a hospital. The nurses have been wonderful in intensive care. All the nurses on Allison's floor have named her "The Princess and the Pea." They have done her hair and nails. I will try to update my blog to keep everyone posted. Our next step is to continue and pray for a fast recovery for Allison.
We Love You Allison!!!
We love you Allison! Get better soon! Haley and Alyssa are ready to come see you and play!
ReplyDelete